Getting started on my Alabama Chanin sewing. First up: PATTERNS
I taped up the pattern to our sliding glass door to trace onto some paper I taped together.
WARNING: Paper Attracts Cats!
Look at that smug little face! And you can see his front White Toes.
I put together a muslin to test this t-shirt pattern. I added 2" to their pattern, which they state XL = 14/16. Um...HA! After basting by hand (which I will never do again - BASTE WITH MACHINE) - I couldn't pull it on. I pulled out the stitches on one side, and I couldn't get my head through the neck hole! What is this - children's sizes?! I had to pull out some shoulder seam stitches. Then I asked Steve to help - I pulled the muslin over my head and held an edge in each hand and asked him to measure - what's in the gap? How short are we? 9" NINE INCHES. I mean, I know I'm fat, but GEEZ these are sized ultra-small!
Although I'm really puzzled by the tiny neck hole. It's not like my head is oversized.
* S I G H *
So, I taped on some extra paper and added on 3" - the pattern is measured on a fold so that's an extra 6" per side for a total of 12" because, well, I just want to be sure.
I also used the Purl Soho Boxy Tee neckline patterns to adjust the neck hole to something more...usable and correctly sized. And I adjusted the arm hole, based on measurements from some of my t-shirts. I'll post an update when I get the muslin resized (I don't have enough muslin to start over, so I will be attaching some pieces onto what I have - should be fun!).
NOW IT FITS! Now it's Fat Girl Size.