Things have been progressing slowly this year. No matter what I want to do, it seems to be taking forever. Except reading Game of Thrones books. I've read the first four.
I have four paintings in the works. But nothing to show yet.
So I focus on Housekeeping. Busywork.
Like dyeing book thread, with watered-down acrylic paint.
The thread was then waxed (no pics). And I got a blister. Note to Self: Do not wax a large amount of book thread at one time. To wax thread, you pull it across a small piece of beeswax, then you run the thread between your fingers and the heat and friction 'melts' the wax and smooths it out. Until you get a blister. It's like a rope burn.
Painting canvas scraps. There are words written in pencil, which will be stitched with the book thread.
Ideas in the works.
I have also been mixing paint colors. I haven't done this since the summer of 2011, right after we moved here. I have a few new paint colors, and the only way to see how they work with other colors is to mix and paint swatches. I bought a bottle of Ultramarine Blue, which I know has much less pigment than Phthalo Blue, which really has too much. Ditto for Phthalo Green.
This is Ult Blue + Titanium White and + Titan Buff.
And mixed with Phth Green and Phth Blue, which barely shows. But good to know.
Ult Blue + Pyrrole Red vs. Q. Magenta. Pyrrole Red is NOT good for mixing. It makes this ugly brick red, no matter what you add to it. Q. Magenta, however, always makes lovely violets. Good to know.
All of Ult Blue swatches.
Other colors below. Now I can browse my swatches for colors I want to use.
I have been making silhouettes. These are naked pics of me, which I printed on paper and shaded with pencil, then scanned into the computer.
Cutting them out. Yes, that's a glass of beer.
I made a few silhouettes back in 2011, and was able to make a pattern that I could trace, but these figures aren't coming out right when I do that. I'm losing detail. I need to print each one for use.
Speaking of Housekeeping, here is a free Housekeeping tip:
Baking Soda and Salt trumps Magic Eraser.
Last summer, I spent many weeks scrubbing the gray scum out of our tub with several Magic Erasers, a little at a time. This year I decided to try some baking soda and salt.
I bought a box of Kroger Kosher Salt when we were a little short on funds because it was a dollar cheaper than Morton Kosher Salt. Big mistake - it is NOT big and flaky like the picture suggests. It was just like regular salt. Next paycheck we bought a box of the good stuff.
And on a whim I decided to see if this would make a good abrasive for scrubbing the tub.
I poured some of each into the tub and scrubbed with a used 3M Scotch Brite Scrubby Sponge. Just a little bit of water to make a paste.
Look how clean:
Stay tuned for artwork updates.